A custom attribute is a data you track about your users, for example, what timezone your user is in. It's a powerful feature because you can filter and target users based on the custom attributes you add, and the data you send to us. It allows you to pass information to Inline Manual that is important to you. This means that you have much more flexibility and you can target your users more accurately.
By default, Inline Manual supports the following keys for people tracking: uid, email, username, email, name, created, updated, roles, group, and plan. In this article, we'll show you how to set up custom attributes to have more control over who sees topics.
Be careful with adding custom attributes as you cannot delete them! Standard plan users have 3 slots available per format. Standard PRO and Enterprise users have 10 slots available per format
How to add custom attributes
- Choose the correct site and go to the People tab.
- Click People attributes on the left side of the screen.
- You'll be redirected to the People attribute settings. You can edit here existing attributes (you can change the title), add new custom attributes, and see how many free slots you have left for custom attributes.
- To add a new custom attribute, click Create custom attribute button.
- Provide required information:
- Format: Text, Number, Array, Date
- Key will be generated automatically based on the title. It is in lower-case and should be implemented the same way in the People Tracking code as it is case-sensitive.
Custom attributes limits:
Text - text value must be a string. The maximum length is 128 characters. Use double quote around text strings. Example:
name: "John Doe"
Array - the maximum amount is 10 values, max. 64 characters each. Use double quote around each value. All values have to be separated by commas and placed in square brackets. Example:
roles: ["admin", "editor"]
Date field - date values must be in UNIX Timestamp format in seconds. The limit is +/- 10000. Send date values without double quotes or brackets. Example:
Number - the limit is +/- 9007199254740991. Send date values without double quotes or brackets. Example:
- Confirm adding the custom attributes with Save changes button.
- When you hover over the attribute, you'll see the option to copy the key to your clipboard. After clicking the button, you'll see a confirmation message.
- Add your custom attribute (key) to the People tracking code you've implemented to pass information to Inline Manual.