Gathering user feedback and customer satisfaction score - CSAT - is necessary to improve your customer experience and provide value. But getting reliable user feedback is hard. Click rates on emails are already low, and when it comes to feedback surveys, the response rates are even lower. With Inline Manual, you can send NPS and feedback surveys to your customers within your application, gaining valuable insights into customer satisfaction. Surveys are flexible, just like Articles and Walkthroughs, and sending them with Inline Manual takes just a few steps. All the data is tracked and logged within the Portal.
In-app NPS surveys are a great way to measure customer sentiment towards your company in context. This improves your response rate and the quality of feedback. It is beneficial when you want to send a survey just after your users interact with a specific feature.
This feature is currently in BETA. It is available only in Standard PRO and Enterprise plans. Take a look at our release cycle and our pricing options.
This article will show you how to set up an NPS survey and when to do it.
Enable the Beta Player
Login to the Inline Manual Portal with your e-mail and password.
Go to Sites and choose your desired Site.
Go to the Settings tab.
Go to Player version.
Check if there's a BETA version available to be enabled.
Save your changes.
You can read about the Beta Player in our guide How to: Player Beta version - Player release cycle - gradual rollout.
When to send NPS survey in-app
You can add as many NPS surveys as you need and customize the questions. Although the main question, “On a scale of 0 to 10, how likely are you to recommend our product to a friend?” will be the same, you may want to ask different follow-up questions to different groups of users. For example, you may want to ask your users who have been with you for a month what problem they want to solve with your product and why they chose you. Whereas you may ask your long-time customers about specific features or what the main pain points are with your tool. Of course, your Segments will depend on your product, use case, and expectations.
Here are some examples of how you can use NPS surveys:
- Prompt users to complete an NPS survey right from the Widget.
- Launch the survey after an interactive Walkthrough with a custom button or a Trigger.
- Automatically display the survey in your application with an Autolauncher.
- Show it to specific Segments only.
- Place a Tooltip or Hotspot that will launch a survey once clicked.
- Measure Customer Satisfaction (CSAT).
And here are some quick tips on how to run it successfully:
- Show the survey only to a specific Segment of users. For example, you may want to target only paying users and exclude those on a free trial. Make sure that the group is large enough to give you meaningful results.
- Avoid spamming your users with too many popups at the same time. Check if there are any other ongoing campaigns before sending the survey.
- Imagine you want to send a follow-up survey to track changes over time. With Autolaunchers, you can schedule publishing and expiration dates to avoid confusion and mistakes.
- Don’t overdo it. If you cannot handle responses efficiently, you may send the survey too often. Don’t ask the same customers for ratings each month.
- Don’t forget to customize the survey to match your brand’s look and personality.
After sending your NPS survey, focus on customer feedback and address their issues. Your score will improve along the way. It won’t happen overnight, but if you keep surveying your users and actively working on their experience with your product, you will see results. NPS is all about listening and measuring customer satisfaction (CSAT).
How does the NPS feature work?
The NPS survey is flexible content, just like Articles and Walkthroughs. You can add as many NPS surveys as you need for your Site and customize the question. Like other Topics, the NPS survey appears in the Widget by default. You can decide to show the survey only when users are in a certain part of your app or push it to the top of the list with a Context Path. You can also add a link to the NPS survey in the Widget’s footer. Alternatively, you can hide it and decide when it should appear with Triggers by adding a custom button to your Walkthrough, Step Launcher, or Article or by playing it automatically to specific Segments of users.
Users choose from the ten-point scale which appears below your question. It shows numbers from 0 to 10. After they select the item on the scale, the form prompts users to 'Tell us more' in a single text field.
Then users will see a thank you message.
You can customize the message and all of the text on the form.
You can add as many NPS forms as you need and get the measure of sentiment across your user base.
How to set up an NPS survey
To create the NPS survey:
- Open the Authoring Tool, choose the correct Site and click the + Create button.
- Choose the Topic type NPS and fill in the required fields.
- Confirm adding the Topic with the Create topic button.
- Customize your survey; add text, a logo or a nice image.
When a number on the scale is clicked, it takes the style of the buttons under the Player Appearance settings. You can read more about customization in the article Customize the look - the player appearance settings.
- You can also add a Backdrop and Animations. You can read more about the Backdrop feature in our article How to: highlight element/s with a Backdrop (the Backdrop panel) and about animations in the article How to: add animation (the Animation panel).
- To change the survey's width or to set up a Context Path, use the Misc panel. Find out more about the Misc panel in the article How to: redirect users, change step's width (the Misc Panel).
- If you want to attach the survey to a Hotspot or a Tooltip, set up a Launcher. Launchers appear in your application as small icons or simply buttons with a short text. You can read more about launchers in the article Introduction to Launchers.
For example, you can set up a Launcher with the short text "Take a survey." In the Launcher Context section, you can check to show the Launcher only to users who did not provide the rating yet.
- Customize default messages. In the Inline Manual Portal, go to Sites > Choose a Site > Settings tab > Player languages > Edit the language > Scroll down to the NPS section and change the text for the default messages.
- Choose when or how it should appear. For example, with Segmentation, the NPS Topic can appear in the widget only to a selected Segment of users. With Segmentation and Automation, you can play the NPS survey automatically to specific users. With Custom buttons, you can link the survey to other Topics, for example, Walkthroughs or Articles.
Additional feature for NPS Autolaunchers
When setting up an Autolauncher for NPS, you will see an option to check Play only if NPS wasn't completed. If checked, the Autolauncher will continue launching for users who didn't give you a score. For example, if you set up the Autolauncher to launch multiple times, with an interval of 24 hours, for example, it is likely to receive a response a second or third time.
You can allow users to dismiss the popup with the Allow users to dismiss this autolaunched Topic by checking the "Do not show again" option. When checked, this Autolauncher won't appear for these users ever again. However, many of our customers add a custom button, e.g. "Remind me later," to allow users to close the popup (deactivate the Topic) but in this case, the Autolauncher will play again after the preset period of time.
How to review the results
You can see the results as they come in with the Inline Manual Portal.
- In the Portal, go to Sites, then choose the correct Site.
- Go to the NPS tab.
- If there are replies to your survey, you will see them. If not, you will see a message indicating there’s no data yet.
Export NPS results
With the export feature, you can download your NPS responses in a CSV file. Use it to read through all the customer comments and perform further analysis.
How to export NPS results
- Go to the NPS tab within your Site.
- Click the NPS Topic you want to export results of.
- Click the Export as CSV button.
- You will see a confirmation message at the top. An e-mail with an export link will be sent to your e-mail address. The link will be active for 24 hours. After this time, the file will be deleted, and the link will not work anymore.
Can't find your NPS Topic in the NPS tab?
If you navigate to the NPS tab but don't see your Topic listed, likely, the survey hasn't been seen by any users yet. Once the survey has appeared to at least one user, regardless of whether it's completed, you'll see it listed in the NPS tab.
Error message instead of results?
If you click on an NPS Topic in the NPS tab and are taken to an error screen instead of the results for the Topic, ensure the Topic is listed among the "Active NPS topics" in the NPS tab. If the Topic is among the "Inactive NPS topics" list, you won't be able to see any results. The likely cause is that the Topic has been unassigned from your Site. Check out our guide on assigning Topics and make sure any NPS Topics you want to see results for are assigned to the correct Site!