In the article about segmentation, we explained why it is so important and provides you with multiple ideas on how to use segmentation and when.
In this article, we’ll focus on describing how to create a segment out of your users, based on the data you are sending to us. For most popular use cases, take a look here.
To create a segment:
Login to Inline Manual portal with your e-mail and password
Go to Sites and choose a site you want to create a segment for.
- Go to the People tab. You will see a list of all your active users along with 2 default segments: Everyone but new users and New users.
- You can create a new segment or add rules to the already existing one. Start with choosing if all rules have to be met (and) or just some of them (or).
- Click + Add parameter button to add more rules. You can add multiple parameters. Add relevant rules based on the data you send to us. Refer to people tracking for more information. Set up Field (eg. role) and Condition (eg. contains: Admin).
You will see a list of your users based on the parameters you set. Please note that a new user will appear in the database of Inline Manual within 2-3 minutes.
- When all parameters are set, click the save segment button.
- Name your new segment and click save.
- The new segment appears on the list under Segments.
- If you want to edit the segment use the pencil icon, and if you wish to delete the segment, use the trash bin icon. You can also delete parameters or add more and update the segment.
- When you try to delete a segment that is already in use, you'll see a modal window with a list of topics associated with this segment. You can scroll the list and click on each topic to remove the assigned segment that you want to delete.
After that, the delete button will be active.
Filter by segment
To filter people by segments:
While within a Site, go to People tab.
You will have all your segments on the left side. Click the desired segment to see who’s there.
Now, that you have your own segments created, you can:
- Use segmentation to target specific users and launch a topics just for them.
- Filter out topics within the widget to show specific topic only for desired segments.